With just 9 weeks to go until Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, I can’t help but get excited.
Yep, 9 weeks from today i’ll fly down to the most wonderful place on earth and meet my family so that my brother can run his fourth straight (perfectly) Dopey. And i’ll tackle not only my third (and second in a row) Goofy, but this year i’m adding the 5k too.
Hmmm…so i’m somewhere between Goofy & Dopey. What exactly does that make me? I gotta think on that. 🙂 Some level of crazy for sure!
Training is officially underway now. I have my characters selected and my costumes almost together. I have my packing list started. We have all our dining reservations made (can’t wait for that Hoop De Doo gluten free cornbread!) and in a few days, will book the ever important fast passes (to Frozen, or not to Frozen..that is the question).
There are SO many things I love about running Disney…and in honor of this 9 week mark, i’ve decided to share my top 9 with you. So here goes.
9. The other runners. What an amazing group of like-minded people. You will make new friends every mile.
8. The course. Running through the parks, with no other guests but the runners. It has a magic all its own.
7. The costumes. Where else is it perfectly acceptable to run dressed as your favorite characters? And some people are SO creative. Ever year I continue to be amazed. And try to up my game.
6. The cast members. The golfers with the crocodile (OMG so scary!). The movie director in Hollywood Studios (love hearing that same bad joke every time). There is entertainment EVERYWHERE you look.
5. The chocolate and gummies at mile 23-ish. You’re coming through the back of Hollywood Studios and you’re tired. And that little piece of chocolate is the MOST delicious thing you have ever eaten. EVER.
4. The Gospel Choir. You’re almost there…its been an emotional morning and then..you hear the singing. And as you go past in your quest to finish, you can’t help but do so with a smile and a spring in your step.
3. Kicking a squirrel during the marathon last year. In Epcot. Near Mexico. He (she?) crossed against traffic. LOL (see my race recap blog for details…)
2. High-fiving Minnie Mouse at the finish line. Totally made my day.
1. Turning the corner onto main street, seeing the castle all lit up in its holiday finest, like a beacon of hope and happiness, while hundreds of screaming fans cheer you on. Its Disney Magic.
And the Bonus? Getting to run with my brother. He’s my favorite Disney character.
Okay…are we there yet? Because i’m not sure I can wait 9 more weeks… except yeah, there’s that little matter of training to attend to.
Because miles of 39.3 or 48.6 or whatever combo you do is no joke….but it is however Goofy, Dopey and just plain fun.