I’ll get to my training and tips in a moment, but first I need to talk turkey. Turkey Vision Quest that is!
Last week was the Gobble Wobble 5k, the race I spent a good chunk of time speed training for, in hopes of a 5K PR, an age group place or both. Well, one of them happened.
A quick shout out to my sole sisters for all their love and support. You two ladies are both amazing and i’m lucky to have you.
It was one of those race mornings when everything just came together. Saw a hawk as we left the house (good luck sign), I got in a pre-race warmup and I claimed a starting spot near the front. Because I knew it would help get out me fast like I needed to.
It was a fast flat course, an out and back. I had my carefully created playlist of songs i’d been doing my speedwork to, and when we started, I took off at full sprint. Knowing I would just run as hard as I could for as long as I could and see what happened.
A PR happened!! Yes, i shattered my prior 5k record set in 2009. I ran a 25:19. WOW! Proof that hardwork and speed training truly pay off.
For some reason, tho, and even tho it would have gotten me a top 3 the past two years prior…I was dismayed to find that it was only good enough for 6th pace. Granted 6 is DANG good, but I kinda wondered is this how Shalane feels? To have the run of your life and end up bested by a Kenyan? LOL (shout out to the woman who did win my age group. a 23 and change 5k? You go girl!!)
And now that my race schedule for 2016 is in the books and i’ve run the cycle, its all DISNEY baby!
Sunday I got in an 18 mile run – at a 10:02 average pace. Seriously? Guess the speedwork also helped my long run paces. 🙂 In the next 35 days i’ve got a couple shorter long runs (12’s) and two 20’s. In fact, the week before Christmas will be true Goofy training – a 10 and a 20 on back to back days.
Hope everyone else’s training is going as well as mine seems to be. 🙂 Pixie dust everywhere!!
So…in honor of the 5 week mark, here’s a top 5 list. My five favorite things to do at Animal Kingdom. (hence the tree of life as this week’s photo!) I know some people aren’t that into Animal Kingdom. But i’ve been a fan since before it was born. I have a mug I bought when I worked at the Disney Store heralding its arrival. That mug still makes me smile. I am just a sucker for critters.
- Kilimanjaro Safaris – because…animals! Giraffes and alligators and zebras and lions. And lions. 🙂 You never know what you’ll see – every tour is different.
- Expedition Everest – my absolute favorite roller coaster at Disney. I could ride this all day. Its fun and scary and exhilarating. I mean, if it wasn’t so good, would half the marathoners stop to ride it as they came through the park during the race? (side note – i haven’t, i’m always through before the ride opens)
- Dinosaur – Not sure if its the familiar faces (Mrs Cosby, the guy from CSI) or the amazing animatronics, but this ride is SO awesome. One of those you spend hunching and weaving to escape things that really look like they might get you.
- Maharajah Jungle Trek – TIGERS. Enough said.
- Terra Treats – a gluten free oasis. Cupcakes, beer, and other safe stuff? Warms my little celiac heart
I’m sure you all have your favorites too!
Hope everyone has a great week – and happy training!!