Ummmm….. how is it only 10 weeks? I’m suddenly feeling horribly behind in my training. LOL And yet super excited!!!
Then again – I DID run 12 miles on Sunday. So I guess not really. And by run, I mean R U N.
Like – not as fast as my last pre-injury long run. But, pretty close. Negative splits, sub-10 minute miles and my stride was back to normal. I know, I know, it sounds silly. But when it takes you over 8 weeks to recover from an injury – you savor every achievement on the road back. And while I know that I won’t be quite as prepared as I was for my first Dopey, I know i’ll still ‘finish in the upright position’. (Likely with a sangria in hand again.)
But anyway… being only 10 weeks out, means its time for the countdown lists to start!
So….here are my top 10 favorite things about running Disney.
10. Its Florida. In January. And even tho it was Boston cold this past January, that was a fluke and its bound to be really nice for 2019. Or at least nice enough to be walking around with no coat.
9. The monorail. Something about boarding the monorail at 3am with a bunch of other lunatics in costume to go run 13.1 or 26.2 miles is magical. Its a great reason to stay at a monorail resort. I know the buses are fine too…but the monorail…its even better. It feels more Disney.
8. Gran Marnier Slushies. There is only one place on earth i’ve seen them…at that little kiosk in France at Epcot. And they really should come in a bigger glass. But they are SO amazing. (and side note – also right on the course during the marathon)
7. Spending the days at the parks. I know some people don’t ‘party in the parks’ when they run Disney. And I have definitely spent less time in them as the years have gone by (gotta somewhat rest the legs). But…its DISNEY! I can’t be near the parks and not IN the parks. So, we Run, Park Hop, Repeat. 🙂
6. The Merchandise. OMG I need that pint glass. And that magnet. And the ‘I did it’ shirt. And the Alex and Ani bracelet and the Dooney purse and…. well, pretty much one of everything. Because ya gotta show off what you’ve achieved.
5. Congratulating other runners. Whether its spotting the KT tape on the back of their legs or the medal around their neck…during marathon weekend you see runners EVERYWHERE. And no matter if its the 5k or the Dopey, we’ve all earned it and its so fun to acknowledge each other. Whether a nod and smile or a quick – nice job out there. It just makes the weekend extra special.
4. Getting to run in costume. I mean sure, I dress in sparkle skirts and stuff for other races. But only at Disney have I run 13.1 (and 6.2) miles in Minnie Mouse ears. Or a marathon with horns. Planning my costumes for each year is SO much fun. Its so hard to choose just 4. But yes, I have them already planned for January. And they are going to be SO cute!!
3. The shirts. My husband said to me this week, while doing laundry (isn’t he the best?), don’t you own any other shirts? I said, not this time of year. Long sleeve days are Disney shirt days. They are just SO comfortable. Plus, its Mickey, and Minnie and Donald and Goofy and Dopey. And I have four years worth of them.
2. The medals!!! They are big and shiny and pretty and sparkly and legit the heaviest ones I have. I love each and every one of them. And I know, you thought this would be number one right? Its close… but there is something even better.
1. Getting to spend time with family. Like my perfectly Dopey brother. He’s the only one i’ve run 4 marathons (soon to be 5) with. (He did one alone…. LOL) And my nephew who loves the 5k’s and 10k’s (January will be his second 10k). There’s no one i’d rather run Disney, or celebrate after at the parks, with.
So fellow Dopeys, Goofys and other disney runners… what is YOUR favorite thing about running Disney?