Omg, omg, omg, it’s one week to Dopey!!!!! Is everybody ready? I am!! At least I think so.
Of course, this is taper…where the first rule is QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!!! lol
The second rule of taper is trust the training….so when that little voice pops up with “what ifs” ya gotta just say “knock if off…we got this”
First, my apologies for the lack of blogs the last couple weeks. See, I totally wiped out on the second day of my Dopey simulation before Christmas. I was sprinting to beat the crosswalk countdown and when I got to the curb, not all of me made the jump onto it. I fell HARD and did a number on both my knee and my right hand. (i’m more ticked I tore my favorite gloves than anything else). So….my thumb is sprained and in a splint, which has made typing a bit of a challenge. I know, excuses, excuses. LOL I couldn’t skip the one week announcement tho, so bear with me on any typos. 🙂
Other than that, the simulation went great. I got in my miles in some interesting weather and survived a good chunk of the 20 miler on a treadmill. If I can survive that, I can totally survive the WWOS miles during the marathon.
I also kicked off the year with a New Year’s Day race – the Hangover Classic 5-Miler in Bristol, RI. Ran wicked fast and surprised myself. It was also fun running in shorts on Jan 1. The course was mostly in my favorite park – Colt State Park – where i’ll be headed back in August for 12 hours of running loops. Can’t wait to run the Anchor Down Ultra again. Its the craziest thing i’ve run other than Dopey.
So here we are in the final week of taper. Just 3 little runs between now and the Disney 5k (which will be my 100th race ever – cool, huh?). 3 miles tomorrow, 6 on Sunday and then 2 on Monday….followed by 2 days of rest.
So what am I doing with all my free time? I finished making my costumes, I jazzed up my magic bands and i’ve started lists.
This weekend I really need to pack. And watch Disney movies.
While i’m refusing to weather stalk this year – since one week out last year it looked AH-mazing and turned into “holy crow its friggin cold” – I do plan to just pack for all possibilities.
So what am I bringing?
- Race outfits – including sparkle visors, arm sleeves, sparkle skirts, shorts / capri options and possible layering shirts
- Start Line “tossables” – hoodies from the goodwill store, cheap gloves, hand warmers, mylar heat sheets (got a 10 pack off amazon), cheap poncho
- Footwear – 2 pairs of race shoes (to alternate), an extra pair of sneakers, my snow white toms and my birkenstocks. Oh, and my sparkly purple snoozies.
- GU and sports beans – I used to be a citrus person for gels, but this training cycle i’ve developed an addition to birthday cake Gu. It tastes like funfetti!
- Miscellaneous – glide, mini flashlight, tape, tiny scissors, bandaids, Advil, sandwich bags, sharpie
- Food – as a celiac vegetarian i’m used to packing snacks to even just leave the house. For Disney I pack paper travel coffee cups and starbucks instant, plus granola bars, protein bars and gluten free pop tars
- Ears! – My collection has been growing – I now have my Minnie Mouse ears that have been at all my runDisney weekends, a pair of Dopey themed sequin ones (purple ears, green bow and 100% gorgeous), the official rose gold ears, and a pair of black and rose gold for my half-marathon costume. I’m hoping to add the purple potion ones to my collection while i’m there. Swoon – they are SO gorgeous!
How about you? What’s in your suitcase?
So logistics – we have our waivers, we have our event guide, we probably all have our dinner reservations and fast passes. I just ordered memory maker (to save the $30 with advance purchase) and now i’m just stalking the parks blog for our merchandise preview (hopefully friday???) and i’m stalking the alex and ani blog, hoping for marathon weekend bangles agin. Gotta make my shopping list for the expo!
I really can’t believe that in six days from right now I’ll be blogging from the airport as I get ready to head to Best Race Weekend Ever. And one week from right now i’ll be heading through Epcot towards the finish line of my 100th race. Squee!!!!!! 😀
To my fellow marathon weekend runners – see ya real soon!