Wow – just five little week’s to my 5th Disney marathon. Cool!
So that means just five little weeks to my:
- 3rd 5k
- 2nd 10k
- 4th half (one got canceled – darn lightning!)
- 5th marathon
Yep, that’s 3 years of Goofy (one with a 5k for extra fun) and a 2nd Dopey about to happen.
When I ran my first Goofy, I thought it was one of the craziest things i’ve ever done (that was before i’d run any ultras). Little did I know the crazy would get bigger.
My 3rd Goofy, I added the 5k, and we made it a family affair. Me and my brother’s family. Dressed as characters from Inside Out. And i’m so glad I ran it because it gave me a medal to wear around the parks, even when the half got canceled for lightning.
For my 4th trip, being the marathon anniversary, I upgraded to Dopey. It was time.
My sis in law had been running the 10k with my brother (kind of against her will. LOL) the prior years, and I finally took over. I wanted a Minnie Mouse medal. And shirt. Gotta have a minnie mouse shirt.
I’m so glad I ran Dopey. It was such an amazing experience doing all the races. Though I do have to say that the marathon was WAY harder after 3 days in a row of running that it was after just 1. It HURT. But we got through it. We knew we could finish and as I sometimes say during a hard run “It doesn’t have to be pretty….it just has to be.” And it was.
That Dopey medal will always be a favorite. I EARNED that sucker.
So, as I reminisce about my races so far and think ahead to weekend #5…here are my five favorite runDisney memories:
5. Crossing the 5k finish line hand in hand with my nephew. It was his second Disney 5k (he’s about to do his 4th (and 2nd 10k)) and my first. He had trained really hard to do well and I helped encourage and coach him along. He was SO proud of himself for doing so well and between the awesome experience of seeing the world showcase lit by tiki torches and crossing the finish as a family i’m smiling right now remembering. (I can’t wait to run the 5k & 10k with him again in five weeks)
4. The Beverly. While this wasn’t during a race, it remains one of my favorite runDisney weekend memories. My brother trying to prank me, and being able to turn it around on him? Priceless. And how much it delighted the cast member who witnessed it? Even better. 🙂 This Coke slushie was my “medal’ for that victory. Lol
3. Running the 5k with my husband. His first Disney race, and first running 5k (he walked one with me the year I broke my hip). I surprised him with it and he trained so hard and did AH-mazing. It would lead to a year of him racing (and even placing his age group) before…plantar fasciitis struck. 😦 But still – that chance to share with him why I love running Disney so much? Magical.
2. Crossing the finish line of my first Disney marathon. This was only my 4th marathon ever. And it was my comeback marathon. I broke my hip (femoral neck) in May 2013. I spent 4 months on crutches and had to re-build to walking distance, then running. I wasn’t supposed to run two days in a row yet, but I had registered for this before i’d gotten injured and I was going to do whatever I had to do to get there. Crossing that finish line was four months of discipline and determination. Proof that you can’t keep a good marathoner down.
1. I kicked a squirrel…. Its not as cruel as it sounds. I barely touched it. It was more of a punt. But the sucker came out of nowhere. It was trying to cross in traffic – near Mexico. And by the time my brother got out the word “squirrel” it was right in front of me and there was nothing I could do. But laugh….. There was some random stranger next to us right then too. I hope she still remembers it. And…that has led to a new favorite runDIsney marathon quote for our family “Ye Critters be warned”
And I’m so looking forward to adding new memories to this list soon. 🙂