Two weeks to go! Woohoo!! And omg I’m almost Dopey. Well, officially that is. First things first…did everyone get their bib # & corral info?? Have you read the event guide? It’s all there on rundisney.com.
For me, getting my bib & corral info is just a sense of relief that they were able to properly verify my proof of time. I told the hubs it’s all “submit in October and spend two months hoping you put the right link” lol
With the smaller corrals this year, I got C! Tho had my 13.1 qualifier not been 13.4 long (stupid lead car confusion detour) I might have made B. So close.
Oh well, it’s all good because I’m not starting in my corral anyways. I always run with my (soon to be perfectly) Dopey brother. And he got D! Which I love – D for Dopey!!
And speaking of Dopey, this week is my dress rehearsal / simulation. So far I’ve completed the 5k (treadmill) and 10k (along the Charles river). With the 10 miler about to be completed and 20 tomorrow. Yay!
I’m running all of them as early as possible to try to be as close to start time as possible. And also trying to walk around enough during the day to try to mimic “park miles”.
And I’m half wondering if I need wine with lunch tomorrow (as we usually wine tour at Epcot the day of the half). Or hmmm should I make my own gran marnier slushie?
With 2 legs of the 4 complete, I’m feeling pretty good. And I’m sure by the time I’m done I will be SO ready to taper.
I hate tapering. I really do. But this may be the one time I embrace it with arms spread wide – reaching for a Christmas cookie. 🙂
Since most of the rest of my fellow Dopeys or Goofys or marathon runners are in taper town too, here’s some helpful tips for “winning at taper”.
- Warm your friends & family. You will be an antsy cranky mess and don’t want to toss a fruitcake at Aunt Edna just because she looked at you funny.
- It’s the holidays – eat the damn cookie. You’ve worked SO hard the past 16 (or however many) weeks and you’ve earned it. Besides – cookies are carbs, and carbs fight the crabbies.
- Speaking of the holidays…enjoy them! Be glad you don’t have to run long on Christmas or New Years Day. Sleep in, relax, watch your favorite holiday movie. (May I suggest Emmett Otter’s Jugband Christmas)
- Quality vs Quantity. Make your miles count. There’s less of them the next two weeks so don’t phone them in. Keep them good solid quality runs to ease the “omg am I truly Dopey? What am I getting myself into?” freakouts.
- Get a massage. Not only will it help reset your legs, but it will help control the taper crazies. I’ve got mine booked.
- Use your free time wisely. You are headed to Disney World after all. There’s lots to do, like finish your costume, make a packing list, bling your magic band and study the event guide. Over. And over. And over. Now is the time (now is the best time…) to get that done.
Wishing you all Happy Holidays and a Successful Taper!
We’re almost there – let’s raise a mug of cocoa as a toast to the fun that awaits us in…14 days.