Omg, omg, omg, it’s one week to Dopey!!!!! Is everybody ready? I am!! At least I think so.
So I did my dress rehearsal last week. At the time of my last blog, I had already completed the easy half of my Dopey simulation. And the tougher half went just as well. 🙂
Wednesday’s 10 miler went great. I headed out at dawn and saw a gorgeous sunrise, a “hidden mickey” and took a Santa selfie at the end. I spent the rest of the day refueling and trying to recover properly for the next day’s 20.
My 20 miler was a little tougher, which was completely expected. The legs were kind of ummm what?? So I ran easy, breathed through it and kept my eyes out for a good character stop. Found a bunch of turkeys, a cool heart and Olaf.
By mile 15 I was starting to struggle. And opted to start walk breaks. I know full well there will be walking during the marathon. I’ve been there to witness my Dopey brother’s legs say “no more” during it, and I know that mine likely will too. And I am completely okay with that. So I walked a 1/4 mile, ran to 16, then repeated it each of the final miles. Which was apparently the right strategy and mile 20 felt pretty good.
I was also delighted to see that those 5 miles weren’t all that much slower than the full-run miles. And I’m thrilled with my overall pace. Training is like, done. Expect for some short runs. So now…. we are knee deep in taper. You know… that place where you Question Everything.
And by question everything I mean it… did I run enough miles, did I train hard enough, should I get in one more long run, am I really going to be comfortable in that skirt for 26 miles, will 3 gels be enough or should I pack 4? Why in the world did I think running 48.6 miles in 4 days was a good idea?!!?
It’s not my first rodeo. I’ve run 12 marathons, 3 of which were at Disney (and part of the Goofy Challenge). I know that the taper crazies are just all a mind game.
And that all I can do from here…Is have faith, trust and pixie dust.
And pack. And make lists. And finish my costumes. And make more lists. And weather stalk. And watch Disney movies.
Since the hubs is coming this year and he hasn’t been to Disney in ages, we’re doing kind of a crash course and rewatching a few movies. Like Avatar and Monsters Inc and Lilo and Stitch. Nothing too princessy.
At this point the weather looks awesome.Which makes packing easier. Although after last year’s marathon temps, I’m packing for all possibilities.
- Race outfits – including sparkle visors, arm sleeves, sparkle skirts, shorts / capri options and possible layering shirts
- Start Line “tossables” – hoodies from the goodwill store, cheap gloves, hand warmers, trash bags, cheap poncho
- Sneakers – New Balance, 2 pairs (a purple and a raspberry) which go perfectly with my race outfits and both have about 100 miles on them
- Huma gel – strawberry lemonade flavor. 3 or 4 of them (for the marathon). I’ve found citrus flavors go down better in the later miles.
- Running Buddy – I’m bringing my bib clips, my buddy 7 pouch and my red buddy clutch. (Race buddy & parks buddy) I’ve also packed a set of clips for the hubs.
- Miscellaneous – glide, mini flashlight, tape, tiny scissors, bandaids, Advil, sandwich bags, sharpie
- Ears! – This year I have both my Minnie Mouse ears that have been at all my runDisney weekends and a new pair of Dopey themed sequin ones (purple ears, green bow and 100% gorgeous)
How about you? What’s in your suitcase?
I really can’t believe that one week from right now I’ll be blogging from the airport as I get ready to head to Best Race Weekend Ever. And one of the craziest, make that Dopiest, things I’ve ever done.
To my fellow marathon weekend runners – see ya real soon!